Tis the Season to Get Real About 2018
Recently someone asked me to facilitate a multi-day innovation workshop for a large company. Those of you who know me, would probably say that sounds like a fun, creative project that is right in your wheelhouse! And it was, except when it wasn’t.
In PDX where Santa Rampages and Naked Bike Rides are the norm, there are plenty of ideas to draw from. But partway in, it became clear that although the client used the words “wild and crazy” we had different ideas about wild and its cousin, crazy.
So, I did what all good consultants, do. I mostly ignored the little signs coming in that maybe we weren’t on the same page and kept designing and redesigning the workshop – over and over.
Then it seemed like a good idea to throw some gasoline on the fire. I wandered around for days like Marvin in”The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy” groaning, “This isn’t going to work, and they are going to blame me.” Ugg.
At some point, it occurred to me that maybe the law of attraction really does work?! Maybe I was attracting more frustration and discomfort by having all these thoughts and judgment. It is possible (er, likely) I was making it worse.
With little to lose, it seemed like a great time to experiment. What if I could shift my thinking and emotion about this project? What might happen if I brought more positive energy and motivation to my next steps?
The skeptic in me almost didn’t want to believe it, but within hours, something changed. There was a shift for the better. I felt a greater sense of resolve, energy, satisfaction, and closure all within about 18 hours.
As we approach the end of the year and start of a new one, it’s a perfect time to shift your energy to attract more of what you want. You can do this on your own, with a partner, or the entire family.
Here are few focus areas and sample questions to get you started…
Amplify Home and Family:
- What are ways you might make your home more comforting and relaxing?
- How do you want to spend time and enjoy your home and family (don’t forget pets, and friends as part of your family)?
- What are some ways you can support your health, happiness, and well-being over the coming 1-2 years?
- What are ways you might enhance your fitness, nutrition, mindfulness, stress management, fun, sleep, and more?
- What adventures would you like to create in the next 1-3 years? This could be anything from travel to things you do at home.
Promote Financial and Career Abundance:
- What does financial abundance look like for you?
- What are some ways you might create more of this in the next few years?
- What are some areas of my business or career you want to grow?
- What are some areas study or interest you hope to pursue over the next 1-2 years?
- What inspires you and energizes you? How can you create more of this in your life?
- What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it’s all about?
- What impact do you want to make in your community? What are ways you might pursue it?
- Who do you enjoy hanging out with? How can you make these connections stronger?
You may decide to use these categories or adapt them to your dream life! Once you have your list of ideas, read them at least once a day for the first 2 weeks. Share them with family, friends, anyone who will listen. Walk in nature and think about how you will feel when you are living in the flow you set in motion.
Sit back prepare yourself for some real, positive change. Cheers to a great 2018!
At Positive Disruption we specialize in working with companies who know that change done well creates better results, awesome levels of engagement, and a workplace that is THE BEST place to be!